Wednesday, November 30, 2016

2017 Movie Preview Part 1



By Jim Scroggs
November 30, 2016

The leaves are changing and it’s getting a little chilly so that means 2016 is almost done and regardless of what you think of how it ended up, It’s safe to say that most of us thought it would be one of the greatest cinematic years ever. In my opinion, I certainly don’t think it was bad but It could have been better in some areas(I'm looking at you, DC/WB and Fox).  From finally seeing two iconic characters together in the same film, A fan favorite finally getting his due and the escalation of a universe that has taken Hollywood by storm, I thought nothing could compete with 2016 but then I started looking at 2017 and thought “ Wait, could next year be even better?"



Logan.jpg

Logan

To say that Fox’s handling of the X-Men franchise has been confusing is an understatement. It’s literally been a roller coaster of emotions as well as trying to stay fresh in a universe that has no real direction. As bad as some of his appearances have been and I’m looking right at you, Wolverine Origins, there is a huge amount of respect that Hugh Jackman has gotten playing the iconic character, Wolverine. Logan will more than likely be the last time he will pop his claws and if the trailer is any indication, it’s going to be an emotional ride that I really hope we can all give a standing ovation to the very character that's been a constant for the last 17 years. While Old Man Logan has been an inspiration for this film, it’s nice to see Logan and Charles Xavier have one final adventure, pass it along to another generation of characters (Possibly X23) in the hopes that the franchise can gain some stability but I don’t see how one good movie will forgive everything that FOX has done. Logan will be in theaters on March 3rd, 2017.




Power-Rangers-2017-Movie-Logo-Header-Image-570x285.jpg

Saban's Power Rangers

When I heard this film was being made, I thought “and we need this, why?” I didn’t think those characters would be viable and maybe even run the risk of being too cheesy for some kids today. Yes, I remember watching the TV show when I would get home from school but it wasn’t a huge part of my childhood that I hung on to. Even with the casting of Elizabeth Banks as Rita Repulsa wasn’t completely sold on me. Well, It looks like I could be wrong. The trailer showed us that the simplicity of a “Breakfast Club but darker” cast of characters mixed with an updated look at the mythology could work and I became more interested in this film after hearing that Bryan Cranston and Bill Hader joined the cast. I’d like to see how the Zords look as well and if the Green Ranger will come into play at some point in future. I’m optimistic on what this could do to bring Zach, Billy, Jason, Trini and Kimberly to a new set of eyes in 2017. Power Rangers will be in theaters on March 17th, 2017


CoGDmURW8AQ8yQ4.jpg


Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2


As the first MCU film of 2017, It’s refreshing to see the first spring release that doesn't involve any of the Avengers. We’ll continue to see the journey that Peter Quill, Gamora, Rocket, Drax,  Baby Groot as well as some newer faces to the team take as we inch ever so closer to the culmination of Infinity War. I don't think there is any concern with what the next installment will bring us but considering how surprising the first Guardians was, I can understand how some people might worry about the expectations of such a newly beloved franchise.The only real questions I have is how instrumental is Peter’s father to the story, what role does Yandu as well as Nebula serve as hesitant allies and how different will Baby Groot be compared to the last version of the fan favorite?  All in all, I'll be there opening night to get my fill of what the next Awesome Mix has to offer. Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 will be in theaters on May 5th, 2017


Part two of the 2017 movie preview will be available tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment