Thursday, December 1, 2016

2017 Movie Preview: Part 2


If you'd like to read Part 1 of this series, you can do that here: 2017 Movie Preview: Part 1



By Jim Scroggs
December 1, 2016

wonder-woman-header3.jpg

Wonder Woman

She was clearly the bright spot in Dawn of Justice, even with a small amount of screen time as either Wonder Woman or Diana Prince but this is the film that could jumpstart the hope and optimism of the DC Films universe that Geoff Johns has set to instill. The trailers have shown us a completely different world in the Island of Themyscira as well as a group of warriors who can really handle almost any threat. I’m excited to see how Diana transitions into her new environment during the perils of World War One and to see how powerful she really is both mentally and physically. Gal Gadot has taken this role with such seriousness but at the same time, she’s having a lot of fun with it, especially if you’ve seen that GIF of her twirling around on the set of BVS. I really hope that this film is not only what the DC Universe needs but what film fans need to show studios that strong, powerful women can be viable in this marketplace and all it takes is putting women in front of and behind the camera. I fully believe that Patti Jenkins and Gal Gadot will deliver on both of those statements. Wonder Woman will be in theaters on June 2nd, 2017




transformers-the-last-knight-banner.jpg




Transformers: Last Knight

This is a bit of a touchy franchise for me. I'm a child of 80’s and Optimus Prime is my favorite cartoon/toy character but after what I saw with Age of Extinction, I seriously doubted whether this would be a good series of movies again. I loved the first one for what it was, Revenge of the Fallen had it’s moments but that happened during the writers strike so I gave it a pass and Dark of the Moon was a slight improvement but it’s still Micheal Bay directed so you knew what you were getting. The only part I enjoyed with Age of Extinction was seeing the Dinobots and everything else was kind of forgettable. With this upcoming entry, there is a glimmer of hope with the addition of Sir Anthony Hopkins along with the return of Josh Duhamel and Tyrese Gibson. I hope that Michael Bay heard the criticisms of the last film and will try to improve this struggling series of films but I still have my doubts. Transformers: The Last Knight will be in theaters on June 23rd, 2017




spider-man-homecoming-logo-178740.jpg


Spider-Man: Homecoming

When I saw Captain America: Civil War the 1st time, I teared up 4 times and 3 of those were because of Peter and Spider-Man so yeah, this is my most anticipated movie for next year by far. I think we've finally got the quintessential Peter/Spider-Man in Tom Holland and the cast is certainly nothing to overlook. Some of the names you've heard of already in Michael Keaton as Adrian Toomes/Vulture and Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark but the younger/supporting players are pretty solid. Donald Glover, Kenneth Choi, Martin Starr, Abraham Attah(who I believe will be Miles Morales) and depending on if you believe the rumors, Zendaya playing Mary Jane Watson. I love that Peter is being focused on when he’s a 16 year old kid since his High School stories are some of the best ones, which makes the John Hughes like style that is going to be portrayed quite brilliant if you think about it. I'm aware of the criticisms that this character has had with the 2nd and 3rd chances that he’s gotten but this is Marvel’s flagship character. As a fan, I want to see him done right and hopefully, out of the ashes of Sony’s mishandling, comes a perfect version of Spider-Man. Spider-Man:Homecoming will be in theaters on July 7th, 2017


Part 3 of this series will be available tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment